Tuesday, September 06, 2005

of dr. phil and vampires

Today's soundtrack:
Spain Intro & Spain by Michel Camilo and Tomatito
La Tortura & Para Obtener Un Sí by Shakira
Everyday is a Holiday & Wikked Lil' Grrrls by Esthero
Nautical Disaster & Scared by The Tragically Hip

I am waging a battle against the boys who live upstairs. It has not yet turned into a holy war, but I think it is only a matter of time. It started not long after they moved in. One of them owns a guitar. He also enjoys singing. He does this directly over the hole drilled into my ceiling by various men in toolbelts who, I can only assume, knew what they were doing. Mi compañero thinks that there might be a bass guitar up there as well. Boom boom boom and the sound of Matthew Good (drunk) meeting Ben Harper (stoned) during a catfight.

But I have an effective defense. Dr. Phil. I know, it may sound crazy, but I think it may just work. They seem to start up around the same time each day, which is (oddly enough) the same time that Dr. Phil is on. The music starts up, and Dr. Phil just gets louder and louder. It seems that only Dr. Phil's Texan truisms are enough to silence these boys. Days of Our Lives and Oprah have failed. CSI didn't have a chance, and I think we all watch the Simpsons.

So I left my supposedly-soundproofed suite and went for a walk. When I came home, I discovered something new about my neighbours. They seem to be deathly afraid of vampires. This and only this can account for the massive amounts of garlic they seemed to use this evening in whatever it was that they were cooking. Now, I'm sure these boys are perfectly nice gentlemen. One day, Mr. Guitar Man might be famous. Perhaps this house will be saved from an attack of zombie vampires thanks solely to their prophetic use of garlic. Yes, indeed all these things could happen. But right now, that seems as likely as me finishing my proposal tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment