Thursday, November 17, 2005

a debate

Today's soundtrack:
Jumping Jack Flash by the Rolling Stones
La Tortura by Shakira feat. Alejandro Sanz
Hard Road by Sam Roberts

Every night at 10pm, mi compañero and I watch The National. About three-quarters of the way through each broadcast, there is an "At Issue" panel discussion amongst various journalist-types. Now, this has been bothering me for several weeks. What is the gender of Chantal Hébert? At first glance, I assumed male. The eyebrows, lack of makeup, and men's clothes seemed to make it obvious. But then, I heard this voice that wasn't quite male or female. Immediately, I thought that I had happened upon a strange androgynous subculture. I could only assume Hébert is their leader and that the entire operation was based out of Montréal.

Mi compañero, I believe, is not really bothered by this androgyny. I, however, am not so noble. At this point, I had every intention of writing a blog dedicated to the oppression of true identity through the association of gender roles, but let's face it - that is in no way my real intention here. I'll leave that argument to those who study and research without considering the implications on humanity (take that Science!). My query is far more straightfoward, as only English students can be.

Male or female?

2 comments:

  1. With your antiquated Edwardian sensibility, I should have expected that my modern Montreal-androgynous appearance would be offensive to a woman such as you. May you be caught in a chill draft and expire forthwith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She’s got BALLS for sure – political commentary balls that is. She really knows how to set things STRAIGHT? I like her STYLE – practical minded, a bit haughty, and mostly exhausted.

    I hope one day her and Peter will have a love child.

    ReplyDelete