Sunday, March 12, 2006

in escape of laundry and editting

Today's soundtrack:
Kate and Leopold on CTV

I have procrastinated long enough. So today, in a fit of procrastination (in avoidance of dishes and thesis writing), I scanned in my favourite pictures from Spain.


I have this thing about arches. Those of you who have seen my pictures from Italy can vouch for that. This is a long archway on the way out to the gardens beside El Escorial.


M wanted me to take this one. It's really quite an incredibly huge building.


This is from inside the cathedral in Toledo.

I don't know if this is simply the dread talking (I have a meeting with my supervisor on Wednesday), or the desire to see greenery again, but I would really like to be back in Spain. If not for the art and the beauty of the place, then just for the coffee.

Right now, Leopold is strutting across the screen. "We are not courting, Kate. If we were, as a man of honour, I would have informed you of my intentions in writing". Oh, now he's on a white horse. Likely a stallion. Sigh. M asked me the other day why I liked the Edwardian era (we were watching A Room With a View). He saw it as a constrained, circumscribed society, full of repression. I would argue that it's the silent and not so silent movement against that repression that's so fascinating. It was, after all, the first rebellion against societal repression in this past century (sorry Hippies, but the Edwardians have it).

I'd analyze this more, but my brain feels a little like porridge today. I hope you've enjoyed the pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Ditto. The Victorians are the same for me. Yes, it was a "constrained, circumscribed society, full of repression." But because of that, all the people who were quietly, yet passionately, challenging repression seem all the more heroic. Now days, when we protest something, it's loud, garish, and usually violent. Victorian women managed to protest in eloquent, elegant, and elevated ways. They are my heroes. Sigh...where has all the eloquence gone?

    ReplyDelete