Sunday, April 09, 2006

northern exposure

Today's soundtrack:
Live it out by Metric
Let it die by Feist

When I first met Miguelito, he told me about this show Doctor en Alaska that he used to watch in Spain. Took me a while to figure out that he was talking about Northern Exposure. In fact, both D and Miguelito spent their respective early adult years following the exploits of one Dr. Joel Fleischman. Personally, I find it curious that my two internationally globe-trotting friends were obsessed with Northern Exposure.

As for me, I remembered nothing beyond the moose in the opening credits. But I have a good excuse for this. You see, I didn't need to watch Northern Exposure because I had already lived it. The towns I grew up in were just like Cicely, minus the Americans (on a good day) and the snow (add more rain). I knew nothing of crime (literally - every door was unlocked, 24 hours a day). Mom was once paid for piano lessons with fish. The guy who laid the foundations for our house was a German POW from WWII. My elementary school had an octopus for a pet (for a few weeks until it looked really mad). Bears showed up in town and relaxed on people's sundecks and patios. Cougars picked off unsuspecting pets. Moving to a city (the 'Mo being a thriving metropolis of 77,000) was a shock. Not that life in a small town is ideal - not by a long shot - but the paranoia of living in a big city (and an even bigger city now) hasn't quite gone away yet.

As a sidenote, Mom tells me that she used to watch Northern Exposure when we lived up in 'McNeil. I suspect it might be a "misery loves company" type of situation.

So Miguelito and I have been watching the first three seasons. Really quite a good show. Reminds me a lot of 'McNeil and the Sunshine Coast. We have 2 or 3 more seasons to go before we get to the end of the series, but I think I might need a significant break from the show right now. You see, I had a dream last night. A dream, sabes? About Fleischman. I think I was Maggie. I don't know, maybe it's the whole New York accent thing. Maybe it's the doctor thing. It's likely that it's the Jewish thing. Suffice it to say that I think I've just about ODed on Northern Exposure.

Good luck with Season 3, D.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I once had a Fleischman dream. It was during my period of obsession with the show, during which I'd rush to my dorm room at noon to eat lunch with the citizens of Cicely. Anyway, here's the dream:

    Fleischman and I are walking through New York eating hot dogs (phallic symbol?). Then we see a homeless guy who asks Fleischman for his hot dog. Of course, he freaks out and starts ranting about how unfair it is for him to ask because if he says no he'll look like a jerk, in typical neurotic Joel fashion. In the end he gives the guy the hot dog, but complains a lot about it. That's it. That's the dream.


    I'm a total weirdo. I know.

    ReplyDelete