Sunday, May 14, 2006

being jewish

Today's soundtrack:
the boys' party upstairs. oy.

Alright, so I'm not Jewish. In fact, I'm thisclose to going to confession this Thursday to tell the priest that I lied to all the other priests. So basically, what I'm doing is embracing my Catholicness. Gives me an excuse to use guilt trips, at any rate. Yet, while I'm getting myself ready to explain to the priest that I'm shaking up with my boyfriend, I'm searching the internet (cursed Internet indeed) for mezuzahs. Mezuzahs are those little things you see on the doorposts of Jewish families. The tradition comes right out of the Shema Yisrael, which is the prayer said both in the morning and in the evening ("Shema Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai Echad"). In the prayer, the Jews promise to place the mezuzah (which contains a scroll of the Shema Yisrael) on their doorposts. Apparently, the mezuzah keeps the person or family safe and guarded. Well, I think that's just fantastic. The prayer itself is amazing. And now I want a mezuzah for my front door. However, apparently there are like five Jews in Canada and they all live in Montreal, so I can't figure out where to get a mezuzah (or even if, Gentile me, can have one). Sigh. I should have thought of this when I was in Toledo this past winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment