Wednesday, May 10, 2006

dear mr. ahmadinejad

Today's soundtrack:
Folklore by Nelly Furtado

Rain today. Has me in a Nanaimo state of mind. I think I'd prefer a New York state of mind, but that's largely due to my recent Sex in the City binge. I have yet to indulge in Kraft Dinner (when the cat's away..), but I am going shopping tomorrow.

I'm still pondering the so-called differences between the so-called two cultures (Muslim v. Christian). The letter that the Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad sent Bush intrigues me. It's been described as a rambling 18-page document. Naturally, I'm combing through it.

"Why is it that any technological and scientific achievement reached in the Middle East regions is translated into and portrayed as a threat to the Zionist regime? Is not scientific R&D one of the basic rights of nations."

A good question, Mr. Ahmadinejad. I believe the answer to your question lies in your refusal to recognise the right of Israel to exist. Calling them a "Zionist regime", for instance, calls your intentions into question.

This letter was nothing short of enlightening. Ahmadinejad makes some interesting points.. well, one point. Over and over. That is, "do such actions [coups, oppression, secret prisons, Iraq] correspond to the teachings of Christ and the tenets of human rights?". Alright Mr. Ahmadinejad, let's examine this, shall we? You correctly identity that Bush is a Christian. This is, of course, courtesy of his wife and his cocaine addiction, but he is a Christian nonetheless. He doesn't believe in abortion, gay marriage or gay adoption. Much of his support comes from the Christian right. And he knows it. Bush isn't going to bite the hand that feeds him, but he's hampered by this one extremely pesky character. Jefferson. Bush is the person that Jefferson was most worried about. One of the three accomplishments that Jefferson was most proud about was his tract on the separation of church and state. Not so much that church would try to influence the state, but that the state would try to influence the church. This ensured religious freedom and the separation of church from the state.

In the Islamic Republic of Iran, this separation doesn't exist. So you see, you can act out through your religion. But thank the gods (re: Jefferson), it's against the law for Bush to act out through his. You can claim that it is God's will that you develop nuclear technology. You can claim that it is God's will that you not recognise the state of Israel (although you do recognise Moses as a prophet - go figure). Bush, however, cannot claim that it is God's will that there is war in Iraq. At least, not without being kicked out, tarred, feathered, and sent to Utah. You can act out through what you believe is God's will, but Bush is hampered by law, tradition, and a constitution.

Well, until he attachs a signing statement to that as well. And when that happens, you two will be the bosom buddies, best friends forever, pen pals that you so desire to be.

That was heavy. Here's a pick me up. Question: should I go blonde or not? And why?

3 comments:

  1. A Sex and the City binge is definitely a girl's best friend through the pains of thesis work. I just finished season 4 yesterday myself. I crave new footwear so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I think blonde would be a good look for summer. Just take it from one who's had a few home dye job incidents and avoid platinum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ms. K,
    I have read your unholy zionist posting with much regret. My R&D policies and intentions are purely plutoniumic towards the so-called state of Isreal. You have twisted my elegant meanings and in the words of a wise prophet I suggest you consider "what would Jesus blog about?"

    Further to your concerns over blonde vs. brown, I suggest you go blonde so our holy warriors may better identify you as a woman of the great satan. When our peaceful nuclear program is completed you will be brought to account for your godless hair colouring. Respectful head coverings for all.

    Allah bless Irania.

    Sincerely,

    AJ

    PS. I would love to borrow the first season of Sex in the City, it is so hard to find over here.

    ReplyDelete