Friday, May 12, 2006

where have all the mix tapes gone?

Today's soundtrack:
Nostalgeria SkipMix
"Unsent" - Alanis Morissette
"I Can Feel It" - Sloan
"Be Mine" - R.E.M.
"Like Someone in Love" - Björk
"Foolish Games" - Jewel
"Apparitions" - Matthew Good Band
"My Selfish Gene" - Catatonia
"Over" - Portishead
"Nothing Better" - The Postal Service
"Joining You" - Alanis Morissette
"Let It Die" - Feist
"Falling in Love" - Lisa Loeb

I've been feeling reflective lately, so I've made mix of all the songs that remind me of those years. Some people just never leave your skin. I think this is why I like listening to Alanis Morissette's music. I've discovered that her music has played a significant role in my relationships. Specifically with one. That was a relationship where the only communication was through mix tapes. So, in an attempt to get through whatever it is about that relationship that keeps popping into my head, I've collected the songs that have the biggest emotional gutshot. I'm going for catharsis here, folks. Get past the freeze-out he's had up against me - he knows my weakness for reconciliation. Sigh. I should just embrace the memory and move on, kick my curiousity to the curb, and be content with my contentment. I guess it's impossible that everything can be in neat, little, organised boxes. "Childhood". "Adolescence". "Moving". "Boyfriends". Well, that last one still needs a lid. Or maybe none of them do. If everything is put away, then these songs won't mean the same.

Besides, a little catharsis, now and again, isn't such a bad thing. Just ask the Greeks.

For those keeping score, "nostalgeria" is the word Derrida used to describe his feelings towards his native Algeria. I just think it's clever. Damn that man and his sexy French-Intellectual mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment