Friday, January 26, 2007

whatever happened to the spanish inquistion anyway?

Today's soundtrack:
"Rebellions (Lies)" by Arcade Fire
"Float On" by Modest Mouse

After reading this, please treat yourself to the celebratory stylings of Spiritualized's "Oh Happy Day". Or, you know, whatever.

Personally, I'm still blown away by the fact that Spain - the land of the Inquistion and Enrique Iglesias - is pulling ahead of the rest of the world in the "let's stop with the size 0 bullshit" game. All my stereotypes are destroyed. The world is topsy-turvy. I half expect to see a country of well-educated and socially-progressive citizens the next time I'm in Madrid* (which will be, for those keeping score, at the end of April and the beginning of May. Plan your vacations accordingly).

Spain is trying to stop body image issues at their source, while Canada is still busy pointing and blaming the fat kid. Never thought that Canada would be trailing Spain in the arena of body image...

* I'm holding up a sign that reads "I'm being sarcastic". Some things just don't translate into ink and paper, or in this case, pixels.

No comments:

Post a Comment