Sunday, April 15, 2007

friday the 13th

Today's soundtrack:
Proxima Estacion: Esperanza by Manu Chao

On Friday afternoon, I defended my thesis. They weren't the most terrifying two hours of my life, but they were definitely the most intense. I know that the ritual is to go out and drink all night after one of these things, but I was left so mentally and emotionally drained that all I could do was come home and watch Apollo 13 with Miguelito, Mom and (surprise!) Laura. Saturday was the first day in a long time that I felt actually relaxed. Mom said she hadn't seen me so at ease since I started grad school. I don't quite know what that says about grad school.

Mom and Laura are on their way to the airport at the moment and I'm looking at a stack of eight or so first-year papers that need to be graded this week. I have some minor revisions to do on my thesis, but it feels as though all the stress and anxiety is gone. A few more formalities and I'm off to Spain for my first vacation in three years without a thesis hanging around my neck.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Has the dreaded anxiety of 'now what do I do?' set in...or has thoughts of sunny spain been occupying your thoughts instead?!

    ReplyDelete