Monday, June 16, 2008

where have you been all my life?

Today's soundtrack:
Symphony No. 5 and Symphony No. 9 by Beethoven

With the exception of WWKiP day and the Stitch & Bitch yesterday, I've kept myself locked up in my basement reading. What, you may ask. Well, Fanny Burney. Yes, I was doubtful at first, too, especially when I realised I was looking at 2500 pages of Regency prose, but now I'm quite smitten. I think she may even supplant Austen as my favourite author. So now my poor neighbours are suffering through a Beethoven-a-thon in honour of the final years of the 18th century, while I read (tea in hand) Camilla and Cecilia.

Yes, that is the extent of excitement in my life at the moment.

And yes, I am fully aware of how pathetic that is.

But not to worry! After I finish with Burney, it'll be onto Swift, Defoe, and - oh why not - Burke. Nothing says relaxing year of reading for the comps like Burke's A Philosophical Inquiry into the Sublime and Beautiful. Rivetting, no?

1 comment:

  1. We met at the WWKIP gathering.I was happy to see your post in Sas'knit'chewan, and followed the trail to your blog. Now I have to go and find a Fanny Burney book.

    ReplyDelete