Tuesday, May 24, 2011

a quick and windy update

Today's soundtrack:
"True Patriot Love" by Joel Plaskett Emergency
"I'll Bring the Sun" by Jason Collett
"Step Off the Map & Float" by Library Voices
Glass Cage performed by Bruce Brubaker

Our once clean windows are utterly covered with dried salt spray from the sea. I didn't believe our landlord when he told us the salt will cover everything in town when there's a strong gale. Now I'm just amazed this village hasn't rusted out completely. At some points yesterday afternoon, I was half-convinced we were going to lose tiles off of the roof... so naturally I walked down the block to the harbour to snap a few pictures.

Here's just outside the Cellardyke breakwater on a calm day:


And here it was yesterday:


Out on the Firth, I think the swells must have been reaching near 5 feet. The Isle of May was behind a thick haze, completely invisible from the mainland. While walking near but not on the pier (I know better than to tempt fate, especially after the winter storm/blizzard confusion in Saskatoon), the wind nearly took my feet out from under me. Anyone who had hung up their laundry earlier that day spent the afternoon chasing their socks and underwear through farmers' fields. £10 says that there's no way you could hear bagpipes over the howls.

No comments:

Post a Comment